Couples that Care, Share.


Mikayla and I, along with countless other members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are studying along with the Come Follow Me study guide. I love this study guide so much because it encourages everyone to read in the Book of Mormon at a similar pace. This allows families and friends to share what we learn together. Mikayla and I have a group text with a few others where we share our daily scripture study thoughts. I highly recommend this, because it keeps you accountable to study God’s word and also gain the perspective and insight for what others in the group learned as well. It’s a win-win situation.

Something that really stuck out to me in this week’s reading was how much Lehi the prophet cared for his family. In 1 Nephi 8:11-12 it reads:

“11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy; wherefore, I began to be desirous that my family should partake of it also; for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit.”

In these verses, Lehi is recounting the vision that he had. In that vision he sees a tree, takes the fruit, loves it, and then wants his family to try the fruit. Lehi feels happy and wants his wife and children to feel happy as well. He wants to share the joy. If we act in the same way that Lehi did, our relationships with our spouse will improve.

Mikayla does a great job with this. She sacrifices her time to stay home and watch our kids and with that, comes a lot of ups and downs. Almost every day when I come home, she has a positive story to tell me, or a cute picture of our boys to share. She takes the happiness that she experienced that day and shares it with me. I share the good things that happened with my day as well (minus the pictures of babies… because I’m cooped up in an office all day without little ones…haha). We also share the hard things that happen but we try to focus on the positive, when we can.

Husbands and wives should always strive to obtain happiness and in every way that they find it, they should share it with one another. In the vision that Lehi experienced, the tree represents Jesus Christ, and the fruit represents all the blessings that come from him, especially his atoning sacrifice for us. I want Mikayla to experience and enjoy these blessings because they bring me happiness and joy each day. I know Mikayla wants the same for me, because I know she also enjoys the blessings of our Savior Jesus Christ. Mikayla and I want our boys, our families, our friends, and everyone else to enjoy these same blessings and joys.

As we strive to become closer to Christ we will find true happiness. Just like Lehi, we will want to share it with others, especially our spouse. So if you are feeling a little tension or lack of luster and happiness in your marriage or dating relationship, maybe you should work on finding the happiness that comes from Christ, and then share that happiness. That will bring you closer than you’ve ever been before.


-Kevin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Couples & COVID-19

A Little Intro

The BBQ Sauce Principle