Don't Skip the Second Receipt in Your Relationship

I'm the main finance-handler, grocery-shopper, and cook in our relationship, so when sales come around, I notice--and I'm a big fan. Last week was Smith's caselot sale, and I had a long list ready to go to stock up on some staple ingredients. Kevin is fantastic and accepted my plea for his help. I didn't want to brave the caselot sale with both a toddler and an infant in my cart... it would have taken a lot of muscle power, will power, and multiple trips through the check-out line to make it all happen; though the thought of it was nightmarish. A few days ago, he kindly stopped to shop for me after work.

As he was loading up the car with the dozens of items, he had the feeling he should check the receipt as he set each item in the truck bed. He had noted that the cashier seemed a bit frazzled (as any employee would be amidst the chaos of a caselot sale!). He noted that several items had been skipped, and therefore were not paid for. Kevin, in true Kevin fashion, did the right thing. He turned around, went back through the line, and made sure to clear up the mishap and pay for the items that had been missed.

I'm grateful that Kevin went back for that second receipt. It was late and after a long work day. I'm sure he was hungry and tired. But he didn't shortchange his integrity in favor of any convenience or a fatter pocketbook. Honesty was priority. 

It's experiences like that one that give me confidence in the integrity of my marriage relationship with Kevin. He's honest in his dealings with his fellow men, and that gives strength and validity to the fidelity and honesty he shares with me, too. There cannot be two-faced tricks in our relationships that will hold for long. For example, we can't be selfish around others and be selfless with our spouse, we can't deal out rude remarks to the rest of the world and then whisper sweet nothings to our sweetheart, it just won't work. In order to have confidence in our marital relationship, we need to be upstanding and true in our interactions with other individuals as well.

Don't skip the second receipt in your relationship. Being honorable in all you do will strengthen the feeling of love and fidelity you share with your spouse.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Couples & COVID-19

A Little Intro

The BBQ Sauce Principle