The Creeper at the Bus Stop


Mikayla and I live in southern Utah County, which is about an hour-long commute by bus for me to work. I take the 805 bus to the Provo Central Station, and then I take the UVX to BYU. On my way home each day when I wait for the 805 bus at the Provo Central Station, I see a guy that is always waiting at a different bus stop. He'll wait with the people and then when that particular bus comes along, he moves to another bus stop full of waiting people. He always looks a little nervous. I figured he was just one of those strangers my parents told me not to talk with when I was a little child. I typically have my big headphones on so this man has never approached me.

About two months ago my wireless headphones ran out of batteries, so I was an easy target for the bus stop creeper to approach. He awkwardly stood in my proximity and then nonchalantly moved his way in. He asked me where I was headed, what I did for work, and if I liked my job. I replied to his questions and asked him the same ones, more out of kindness and courtesy than anything. He responded in short answers, not giving a whole lot of information about himself away. Once we finished the basics, my bus showed up and I was free from any further awkwardness.

As the weeks went on I made sure that my headphones had plenty of juice so I could avoid weird conversations with the guy. This last Friday I was the only person waiting for the 805 bus, and the bus creeper decided that I was his target. I had my headphones on and I didn't make eye contact but yet he still decided to stand with me. I looked at my watch and I had at least 10 minutes before the bus would arrive so I decided to turn the tables and find out all I could about this strange man.

I took my headphones off and I asked the man why he waited at the bus station but yet never actually got on the bus. He looked nervous and responded with a short answer of "oh I work from home and its good to get out." I pressed him a little more and asked him what he does for work and what brings him to the Provo Central Station. Again he gave me short answers "I like to see the temple, and I work from home." He asked about my work and then my ward. I was kind in my responses but I realized that I wasn't getting anywhere with this guy. After a few more basic questions back and forth I asked him again straight up, "What do you do here every day at the bus station?"

I could not have been more surprised by what he did next. The man took a pass-along card out of his pocket, bore a sincere and powerful testimony of Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, and the restored gospel. He asked me to give the pass-along card to some that I meet in the future. This guy was being a missionary and I TOTALLY unrighteously judged him. I talked with him a little before my bus came and thanked him for doing missionary work. I smiled all the way home on the bus thinking about how wrong I was about him, and what a great person this man was.

Now, what does this have to do with marriage? First, don't judge your spouse before you know the whole story. Communication is key to understanding and living a happy life with your spouse. Second, one of the attributes that first attracted me to Mikayla (and still does to this day!) is her missionary attitude. She serves all the time with no thought of reward. It's a light that beams about her. People are attracted to others who emanate positivity and light. So, if you want to rekindle that fire between you and your spouse, then do some service or missionary work and I guarantee you will impress your spouse.

-Kevin



Image credit: https://www.pexels.com/photo/bus-stop-printed-on-asphalt-road-1260437/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Couples & COVID-19

A Little Intro

The BBQ Sauce Principle