H U G T I M E

In classic movies and TV shows, there is a  classic and recurring scence where the husband returns home from work, opens the door, and proudly proclaims "Honey, I'm home!" The wife then comes running and gives the husband a big hug and kiss. I love this because it shows that the husband and wife have missed each other and are happy to reunited after a long day of work at the office and at home.

My family's version of this daily ritual has become known as "hug time." Hug time in our family goes a little like this. I finish up my hour and twenty minute commute with my back pack in one hand, the remains of my lunch sack in the other, and I usually have to pee. I open the door that separtates the garage and our little mud room and I almost always I hear my wife shouting, "Charlie, Daddy's home!" My little boy then squeals with joys and rushes to give me a big hug. With Charlie attached to my legs, Mikayla comes over and puts her arms around me and hugs me tight. Because of the items in my arms I am unable to hug her back. She gives me lots of kisses and lovingly holds me captive while I'm halfway in the door, both arms carrying something, Charlie repeatedly saying my name... and me needing to pee.

If this sounds slightly awkward, then you'd be right. 

But I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I love that Mikayla and Charlie are excited to see me. So excited, in fact, that they don't have the patience to let me situate myself for 3 minutes before greeting me. I can't think of a better way to come home. I love my family and after a long day's work and commute, I want all the love and affection I can get.

Whatever your situation, if your spouse is gone for a decent amount of time and you are home waiting, make it a big deal when they arrive. It will make their day. I know this because it sure makes my day every time it happens. Any time is the right time, to show some affection and love. Any time is the right time for Hug Time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Couples & COVID-19

A Little Intro

The BBQ Sauce Principle