I Don't Care.

I don't care.

One of the many reasons that I married Mikayla is because she has an opinion (that she likes sharing a lot). She loves sharing her experiences of her mission and her testimony of the gospel. She is happy to tell you what she thinks about almost every topic. She does this in a respectful and pleasant way. It is never condescending or rude.

Mikayla always knows what she wants. When it is date night she knows exactly where she wants to go out to eat or exactly what movie she wants to watch. She is always in the middle of a book and will happily tell you her opinion about it if you ask. She participates in a book club where they get together and chat about how much they liked or didn't like the book of the month. I love that Mikayla has an opinion on everything. It makes it really simple for gift giving because all I have to do is ask her what she would like for the upcoming holiday, and without a doubt, she has a few items ready to spout off. The same thing goes for favorites. Mikayla has definite favorite foods and favorite clothing items. She is a chocolate ice cream girl and whenever we go to Zupas she gets the nuts about berries salad with either a cauliflower soup or a mushroom bisque.

Now me on the other hand... I really just don't care about most things.

What I mean to say is that I'm totally fine with choosing any of the 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins. The majority of the clothes that I wear were either purchased by Mikayla or were gifted to me by my mother or mother-in-law. As long as it fits, I'm probably going to wear it. I'm also not opinionated about food. Mikayla makes a great meal every night because she is a really good cook and as long as it's hot, for me it will be great.

This is why I struggle with favorites. There are so many great options out there, why do we have to choose just one to be the best? I have an opinion of a few things; I have a firm testimony of God and his gospel, and my one best friend is my wife... but after that, who knows.

I'm reminded of an episode of the Cosby show, when Cliff Huxtable's daughter is getting married. The soon-to-be son-in-law doesn't know what to say when his fiancee asks which colors and napkins he likes best. Cliff Huxtable tells him to go with the "no, no, yes" pattern of response. That way it looks like he has an opinion. It's comical in the show, but for me--this is my life sometimes! When someone asks me my favorite color I tell them blue, but really it's not. I like blue but I also like green, red, and all the others as well. I know the person asking wants a definite answer so I have one ready to avoid an awkward conversation.

This gets me in trouble from time to time. Mikayla will ask me what movie I want to watch or where I want to get food. Well, I don't care, but I know that sometimes Mikayla wants to do what I want. But I really don't know what I want, so I ask her what she wants, but she makes me choose. I'm a little bugged because I know Mikayla wants to go somewhere specific but she won't tell me. And she's a little bugged because she is trying to be a good wife and give me what I want. But I don't know what I want, and we end up like the vultures from the old Jungle Book cartoon in a never-ending loop.

So why am I telling you this? I believe that it's important to have an opinion on things that really matter like the Gospel of Jesus Christ and your commitment to your spouse. For other matters, if you don't have an opinion, then that's ok.

-Kevin



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Couples & COVID-19

A Little Intro

The BBQ Sauce Principle